Molinaro family aboard the Saturnia
Colour photograph of Maria Molinaro and her family aboard the Saturnia as the passenger ship was boarded in Naples, Italy. The photograph shows a group of five people posing for the camera. A younger man stands a the left with his hand on the ship's railing. He is wearing a brown overcoat and a dark suit underneath. A young girl in a red plaid jacket and skirt stands in the centre of the photograph. She is wearing a brown hat with a fur rim and is smiling at the camera. An older man, likely her father, stands behind her with his hands on her shoulders. He wears a brown overcoat and suit similar to the other man. He is also wearing a light coloured hat. To the right of the young girl stands a woman in a black overcoat, holding a purse, who is likely the girl's mother. She is holding onto the hand of a young girl who. The young girl is wearing a checkered coat over a red dress. She also wears a hat rimmed with fur. One of the ships lifeboats can be seen directly behind the group. Two men can be seen at the left, waving to onlookers beyond the ship's railing.
According to the archives at Pier 21 in Halifax, Nova Scotia the Saturnia stopped at the following ports: New York, Boston, Halifax-Ponta Delgada, Lisbon, Casablanca, Gibraltar, Palma De Mallorca, Barcelona, Cannes, Genoa, Palermo, Naples, Patras, Venice and Trieste. The ship was originally built for the Cosulich Line and was transferred to the Italian Line in early 1935. Prior to World War II the ship was used to transport troops for the Italian Government to East Africa. It was then used by the International Red Cross for evacuation voyages and by the US Government as a hospital during the war. The ship was returned to the Italian Line in late 1946 and resumed its role as a passenger ship until 1965.