Photograph of Don Jail, Toronto, ON, 1915 - en anglais seulement

Early black and white photograph of the Toronto Gaol (pronounced "jail"). Also referred to as The Don Jail or The Don, it is located near the intersection of Gerrard Street East and Broadview Avenue, in an area of Toronto known as Riverdale. The jail was designed by the architect William Thomas in 1852 and was built before Confederation. Thomas originally began his career in England, but emigrated to Toronto in 1843 during a depression in the British building industry. The Don Jail, along with St. Lawrence Hall and other buildings he designed in Ontario, were created in the Renaissance Revival style. The jail was officially opened in 1864 and at the time it was the largerst jail in North America, originally constructed to house 276 prisoners.

During World War II a number of Italian Canadian men were arrested and detained at a number of locations within the City of Toronto prior to either being released or transferred to internment camps. The Don Jail along with the Canadian National Exhibition grounds were two such holding locations.